Alaska Up Close, Holland America’s immersive experience offered on all Alaska sailings, has been enhanced for 2023 with additional experiences and programs.
Holland America Line has announced the expansion of its Alaska Up Close program. The cruise line will introduce new facets of the program throughout the 2023 Alaska season.
As part of the existing program, guests on HAL’s Alaska cruises are immersed in the local culture with informative onboard programming, sea-to-table dining, and award-winning shore excursions. The cruise line stated in a press release that the new elements introduced to the program this year will offer “an even more engaging guest experience”.
Alaska Up Close now has expanded programming
On each Alaska cruise, passengers will now find new localized cuisine, cocktails featuring authentic glacier ice, an Alaska-themed brunch, a Huna native presentation, and wildlife experts to help guests spot and identify indigenous animals from the ship’s deck.
The program will continue to offer workshops and lectures, EXC Talks that explore the tales of real Alaskans, and dining events that highlight the region’s culinary heritage.
“Since launching Alaska Up Close we’ve introduced incredible programming that brings an authentic Alaska experience to our guests like no other cruise line,” said Michael Smith, HAL’s senior vice president for guest experience and product development.
“This season we’re growing the program to embed Alaskan fresh fish and wildlife spotting into the cruise on an even more expansive scale, from new localized cuisine and cocktails to exciting lectures and wildlife viewing. We want our guests to have experiences they can’t find anywhere else,” enthused Smith.
Alaska Brunch will highlight local flavors
All dishes on the new Alaska Brunch menu in the Dining Room, which is available once each cruise, have been inspired by fresh, local Alaskan and Pacific Northwest ingredients. Sweet and savory options include:
- Alaskan Blueberry Pancakes
- Salmon & Potato Chowder
- Wild Forest Mushroom and Tarragon Crepes
- Kodiak Steak and Egg Skillet
- Crab and Hot Smoked Salmon Cakes
- Biscuits with Gravy and Alaskan Reindeer Sausage
- Home Smoked Gulf of Alaska Cod Benny
A Taste of Alaska in Lido Market
The casual Lido Market provides special cuisine and theme nights on Alaska cruises. Guests can enjoy a Salmon Bake and a Seafood Boil pop-up dinner, as well as a Gold Rush dinner on sailings of 14 days or longer.
Sustainable seafood aboard Holland America in Alaska
Holland America was awarded Responsible Fisheries Management (RFM) certification in 2022, making it the first cruise line to do so by providing only fresh, certified sustainable, and traceable wild Alaska seafood.
The company serves over 2,000 pounds of Alaska salmon, 1,000 pounds of Alaska cod, 800 pounds of Alaska halibut, 500 pounds of Alaska rockfish, and more on each Alaska voyage.
All menus emphasize “Taste Alaska” by highlighting regional meals and fresh fish choices.
HAL will offer new cocktails, some featuring real glacier ice
Four new drinks include genuine Alaska glacier ice, gathered by state permit among floating glacier bergs in Prince William Sound and prepared under Alaskan authority.
Holland America Line is the only cruise line that serves glacier ice, providing cruisers the unique experience of safely tasting actual glacier ice from Alaskan waters. Cocktails made with glacial ice include:
- Juneau Gin & Tonic featuring Juneauper Gin produced in Juneau, Alaska
- Alaska’s Blue Ice with De Kuyper Blue Curaçao, X Rum, pineapple juice, Velvet Falernum, and dry vermouth
- Blue Iceberg with Juneauper Gin, apricot brandy, Blue Curaçao, and lime juice
- Black & Blue with a choice of Johnnie Walker Black or Jack Daniels Black Label, served over glacier ice
Holland America will now also serve new hot cocktails during scenic cruising in Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, and Hubbard Glacier:
- Glacier Bay Coffee with Baileys Irish Cream and Malibu Coconut Rum
- Alaska Railroad Coffee with Jameson Irish Whiskey, Kahlua, and cream.
- Gold Rush Coffee with Grand Marnier and hot chocolate
- Northern Lights with Crème de Cacao, Kahlua, and brandy
EXC Talks and presentations bring Alaska to life
With engaging narrative and expert commentary, Holland America’s EXC Talks continue to bring each location to life. Guests on Alaska cruises can learn more about local culture and customs by attending “Ancestral Memories,” “Breaking the Ice Ceiling,” “Pacific Giants,” “The Iditarod,” and “We Are Alaska.”
Holland America Line will also welcome a Huna Native interpreter to the EXC program to introduce cruisers to the history of the Tlingit with “Native Voices: Stories of the Tlingit People“.
Wildlife experts and park rangers will be on board
A new wildlife expert on board will help guests view the magnificent species seen in Alaska. Humpback whales, orcas, bald eagles, moose, sea otters, caribou, black and grizzly bears, Dall’s porpoises, and other wildlife can be seen. Daily schedules will note set times to meet the wildlife expert on deck to go in search of the creatures in their natural habitat.
Holland America is also introducing a Wildlife Spotting Guide on Alaska cruises. The document points out native animals found along the cruise route and includes a map with the best places to spot each species. Between 8 AM and 5:30 PM, all wildlife sightings will be announced so guests can enjoy viewing from the deck.
The cruise line will continue to host a Glacier Bay National Park Ranger for the day during Glacier Bay scenic cruising to connect with guests and talk about Alaska’s most famous national park.
All roundtrip Westerdam voyages from Seattle include a presentation by the Alaska Raptor Center in Sitka. One of the center’s Avian Care Specialists joins the wildlife expert on the World Stage with a raptor (eagle, hawk, owl, etc.) to provide insights on Alaska’s spectacular birds.
On Deck for a Cause: Alaska’s Parks
For the 2023 Alaska season, HAL is donating proceeds from its On Deck for a Cause event aboard ships in the region to Alaska Geographic, the nonprofit education partner of Alaska’s parks, forests, refuges, and conservation lands.
With the new “On Deck for a Cause: Alaska’s Parks,” guests on all Alaska cruises are invited to donate $25 to participate in a non-competitive 5k fundraising walk aboard every sailing.
How to take part in Holland America’s expanded Alaska programming
Holland America Line has six ships exploring Alaska in 2023 on seven- or 14-day cruises from Seattle, Vancouver, and Whittier/Anchorage, along with cruisetours of up to 18 days, which combine an overland journey to Denali National Park and the Yukon plus a cruise.
For 2024, the company will also be sailing longer voyages in Alaska. Find out more: Holland America Line Announces Longer Alaska Cruises for 2024
Looking for the lowest price on your Holland America Alaska cruise? I recommend CruiseDirect! They offer a best-price guarantee, exclusive bonuses, and they never charge a booking fee.
Resources for your Holland America cruise in Alaska
- What to Pack for an Alaska Cruise – Plus Free Packing List!
- Exploring the Menu at Canaletto on Holland America Line (Full Menu + Photos)
- Holland America Fitness Classes (With Menu and Prices)
- Holland America Spa and Salon Services (With Menu and Prices)
Latest news about Holland America Line
- Holland America Line Installs SpaceX’s Starlink Internet Aboard More Than Half Its Fleet
- Holland America Completes Shore Power Connectivity Installation Fleetwide
- Holland America Line Launches Global Fresh Fish Program
- Holland America Line’s 2025 Europe Season Focuses on Longer Cruises and More Overnight Stays
- Holland America Introduces National Geographic Day Tours on Mediterranean Cruises
- Holland America Expands Alaska Up Close Program
Have you sailed in Alaska on Holland America (or any other cruise line)? What do you think about HAL’s new offerings for the Alaska Up Close program? Let me know in the comments below!
- Viking’s Newest Ship Viking Vela Floats Out - November 30, 2023
- Princess Cruises Will Debut Its Largest Casino Ever on New Sun Princess - November 28, 2023
- Oceania Cruises Announces First Annual Culinary Masters’ Cruise - November 27, 2023