Looking to pamper yourself on a Holland America cruise? Find out all about the Holland America spa and salon services before your next voyage.
I love visiting the spa when I cruise—it’s my favorite way to use onboard credit! But I like to plan all my spa treatments before I sail so I don’t waste time onboard (or blow my budget).
You can do the same with this comprehensive guide to HAL spa and salon services. (Be sure to read to the end to find out how you can save money by booking your services before you cruise.)
Holland America’s luxe Greenhouse Spa and Salon offers a variety of services at sea, from basic haircuts and facials to medi-spa and teeth whitening treatments so you’ll look amazing on your vacation, and when you get back home!
The Greenhouse Spa & Salon is offered on the following Holland America ships:
- Nieuw Amsterdam
- Nieuw Statendam
There’s nothing like a facial to get your skin glowing for all those vacation pictures! The Greenhouse Spa offers a range of facial treatments, customized to your needs.
The spa uses (my personal favorite) Elemis products in their facials. This British brand has been making skincare products with natural extracts for over thirty years. In 2020, Elemis was named Best Premium Skincare Brand by The Sunday Times Style section in the UK.
Elemis Touch facials:
- Pro-Collagen Age Defy (50 min, $169)
- Dynamic Resurfacing Precision Peel (50 min, $169)
- Superfood Pro-Radiance (50 min, $149)
- High-Performance Skin Energizer for Men (50 min, $149)
Elemis BIOTEC Anti-aging facials:
- BIOTEC Line Eraser (50 min, $199)
- BIOTEC Firm-a-Lift (50 min, $199)
- BIOTEC Skin Resurfacer (50 min, $199)
- BIOTEC Super Charger for Men (50 min, $199)
If you’re looking for a quicker facial treatment, the spa also offers its Glow In-a-Flash essential facial (25 min, $129) that will get you in and out in no time.
Holland America’s spa offers a range of massage therapies to help dissolve that stress you’ve been carrying around and put yourself right into cruise relaxation mode.
Many of their massage treatments are offered for shorter or longer time periods to suit your schedule and budget.
Nurturing massage options:
- BIOTEC Face Treatment and Body Ritual (100 min, $299)
- Couture Touch Face and Body Treatment (50 min, $189 / 100 min, $299)
- R3 Pain Management Therapy (100 min, $299)
- Restorative Salt Stone Massage (75 min, $229)
- Coconut or Thai Herbal Poultice Massage (75 min, $229 / 100 min, $299)
- Aroma Stone Therapy (50 min, $179 / 75 min, $209 / 100 min, $299)
- Bamboo Massage (50 min, $179 / 75 min, $209 / 100 min, $299)
- Deep Tissue Muscle Massage (50 min, $179 / 75 min, $209 / 100 min, $299)
- Swedish Massage (50 min, $149 / 75 min, $199 / 100 min, $299)
- Reflexology Massage (50 min, $149)
- Couples Swedish Massage* (50 min, $279 / 75 min, $379 / 100 min, $579)
*For the couples massage, the Greenhouse Spa and Salon lets you upgrade to another massage type for a nominal fee.
Nourishing massage options:
- Aroma Spa Seaweed Massage (75 min, $229 / 100 min, $299)
- Intensely Cleansing Salt Scrub (50 min, $189 / 75 min, $229)
- Ionithermie Cellulite Reduction Treatment (50 min, $189 / 3 sessions $399)
The Greenhouse Spa & Salon on Holland America also offers medi-spa services. Medi-spa treatments blend a relaxing spa experience with the procedures and expertise you used to only find at your dermatologist’s office.
Since we all have different needs and desired outcomes, pricing for these specialized treatments will vary.
Cruisers can visit the spa to book a consultation and learn about pricing options for these medi-spa services:
- Thermage Skin Tightening Treatments
- Restylane Dermal Filler Treatments
- DYSPORT Cosmetic Wrinkle Treatments
I had my very first acupuncture appointment on a cruise ship, after Mr. SBC tried it. He’s been dealing with neck pain from arthritis for years, and booked a session of appointments on board when he saw how well it worked.
Even though I wasn’t looking forward to becoming a human pincushion, I gave it a try and realized that the needles don’t hurt at all, and acupuncture helps with both my back pain (I have scoliosis-induced arthritis) as well as my anxiety. Now we both book at least one session every time we cruise.
On Holland America, a basic 50-minute acupuncture session costs $179. But you’re also able to add on a variety of complementary treatments to your session, at a pretty reasonable cost.
If you’ve never tried acupuncture before, a lot of your session time involves lying down and relaxing while those amazing little needles work their magic. Your acupuncture therapist usually leaves you alone for most of your session, checking on you occasionally.
Adding on another service can fill in that extra time so you don’t find yourself staring at the ceiling (or falling asleep) while you wait!
The following add-on services are available with your acupuncture session on Holland America:
- Neck and shoulder cupping – $39
- Cellulite cupping – $39
- Eastern nutritional consultation – $39
- Anti-aging acupuncture facial – $39
- Herbal consultation – $20
Tip: If you’re nervous about feeling the standard acupuncture needles, ask your practitioner to use thinner needles (often called Japanese needles).
Although I’m a frequent traveler, I often find myself calling my home salon just days before a trip to see if my stylist can fit me in. Is it just me, or do you do the same thing?
Thankfully, The Greenhouse on Holland America ships has a full-service hair salon, where you can get anything from a trim or a blowout to highlights or even a full color.
The Greenhouse Salon offers the following hair services:
- Color and Style Consultation – complimentary
- Keratin Complex Express Blowout – from $169
- Shampoo and Blowout (bundle of 3) – $129
- Red Carpet Blowout – from $79
- Updo Style with Blowout – from $69
- Shampoo and Blowout – from $49
- Keratin Complex Blowout with Cut and Style – from $199
- Kérastase Elixir Ultime 24-Karat Indulgent Ritual – $59
- Kérastase Fusio Dose Instant Hair Treatment – $29
- Kérastase 123 Hair Ritual – $19
- Highlights or Lowlights – from $149
- Permanent Color – from $99
- Semi-Permanent Color – from $79
- Colorful Hair – from $49
Tip: Most Holland America cruises have two formal nights per seven-day sailing (and more for longer cruises). Book your hair service early if you want to look your best for formal night—the salon is usually super-busy on those days!
When I’m on a cruise, I want my nails to look their best (especially my pedicure since I usually wear sandals in tropical ports).
If you live in a cold climate like I do, getting a pre-cruise pedicure means waiting for-ev-er until my toes dry before squashing my feet back into boots and hoping that I didn’t ruin the polish.
I learned my lesson the hard way, and now I skip all that worry and have my pedicure on board. You can either relax in the spa while they dry, or slip your flip-flops on and enjoy the ship!
Nail services at The Greenhouse Spa include:
- Fire & Ice Manicure (45 min, $69)
- Exotic Hand Ritual Manicure (45 min, $59)
- Traditional Manicure (30 min, $49)
- Fire & Ice Pedicure (60 min, $79)
- Sole Delight Pedicure (60 min, $69)
- Traditional Pedicure (45 min, $59)
- Repolish- $29
- Nail Fix (per nail) – $15
- Shellac add-on – $20
- Paraffin Wax add-on – $19
You can also save money by bundling some nail services:
- Fire & Ice Manicure + Pedicure (105 min, $129)
- Exotic Hand Ritual Manicure + Sole Delight Pedicure (105 min, $119)
- Traditional Manicure + Pedicure (75 min, $99)
- Shellac add-on for Manicure + Pedicure – $30
Tip: Many cruise lines don’t offer gel or shellac nail services, but Holland America does! I used to use acrylic tips, but I switched to shellac because it’s faster and less damaging, but still super-durable. If you still use tips, chat with your nail tech at home about switching to shellac, especially if you’ve booked a longer cruise and want your nails to look their best.
We all know that drinking coffee, tea, or red wine can discolor your teeth. If you’re like me and refuse to give up your morning coffee or glass of cabernet at dinner, whitening treatments are de rigeur unless you want your teeth to be some shade of ecru.
(Does anyone else remember this 1996 TV ad where Kindergartners shamed their teacher for having ecru-colored teeth? Prepare to feel as old as I did when I looked it up, sorry!)
Thankfully on many cruise lines including Holland America, you can whiten your smile without having to book a dentist appointment. They even offer a couples treatment option so you can save a little money and both look your best.
- GO SMILE Teeth Whitening Treatment (30 min, $149)
- GO SMILE Teeth Whitening Treatment for Two (30 min, $258)
Tip: Teeth whitening treatments can often cause temporary tooth sensitivity. Book your treatment closer to the end of your cruise so you can enjoy all the sweet treats and frozen drinks—and still go home with a sparkling smile!
Many cruisers are surprised by the range of waxing services that Holland America’s spa offers! When I have a full schedule of must-dos before a cruise, I can breathe easy knowing that I can still have some essential waxing done after I board.
Waxing services on Holland America include:
- Full Leg – $85
- Brazilian Bikini or Back – $79
- Full Arm or Lower Leg – $55
- Basic Bikini, Half Back, Chest, or Half Arm – $45
- Brows, Underarms, or Stomach – $35
- Ear, Lip, Chin, or Cheeks – $25
Tip: Although waxing services on a Holland America cruise are convenient, waxing larger areas can be painful. Try a waxing service at your home salon first before booking one on your cruise. Or try a smaller area (like your upper lip or eyebrows) to minimize pain on your vacation.
Men are always welcome to book any of the spa or salon services on Holland America. Mr. SBC usually beats me to the spa to book his favorite acupuncture and massage treatments (and I make sure he gets a pedicure because he never has time at home).
However, the spa and salon menu does have a specific section for men’s grooming, focusing on men’s haircuts, shaving, and beard care.
- Pro-Collagen Grooming Treatment with Shave and Men’s Cut – $129
- Pro-Collagen Grooming Treatment with Shave – $109
- Express Shave (30 minutes) – $59
- Men’s Cut and Style Dry – $45
- Beard and Neck Trim – $25
Savvy cruisers know that booking a pass for the spa’s Thermal Suite is an excellent investment in your well-being.
If you’re looking forward to relaxing on your cruise, the Thermal Suite is the place to be!
With a daily or weekly pass, you can soothe those weary muscles on a heated tile lounger while gazing out to sea, enjoy a steam treatment in the sauna, or take a long dip in the jetted hydro pool, filled with calming ocean water heated to body temperature.
Pricing for Holland America’s Thermal Suite can vary by ship and by sailing, but recent cruisers report that a weekly pass costs about $299 per stateroom.
You may also like: Holland America Fitness Classes (With Menu and Prices)
Looking for the most updated Holland America spa and salon menu? Here’s the newest one, with updated services and prices for 2022.
Money-saving tips for HAL’s Greenhouse Spa & Salon
Spa and salon treatments can be expensive, so I like to search for discounts whenever I can. On a Holland America cruise, you can absolutely save some money off the menu prices!
HAL often offers a discount (usually up to 25% off) when you book your spa and salon treatments pre-cruise. You’ll need to book at least three days prior to embarkation, and medi-spa services and the Thermal Suite aren’t included.
However, you’ll often find discounts on a week-long Thermal Suite pass on embarkation day. Check your daily planner or visit the spa for details and pricing.
Holland America also rewards frequent cruisers with their loyalty program, Mariner Society. Once you reach Three-Star Mariner status (75+ cruise days sailed), you’ll be eligible for discounts on select spa treatments.
If you reach the ultimate loyalty level of Five-Star Mariner (500+ cruise days sailed), you’ll get one free Thermal Suite day pass on each cruise.
Tip: Thinking about booking a Holland America cruise? I always book through CruiseDirect for the lowest prices. They never charge a booking fee, and you can often score some exclusive perks like free onboard credit to use at the spa!
Have you tried any spa or salon services on a HAL cruise? What did you think of the Holland America spa or salon on your voyage? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Liked this post? Pin it for later!
- Seabourn Venture Makes First Visit to Antarctica for Naming Ceremony - November 23, 2022
- Visiting the American Legation Museum in Tangier Morocco - November 22, 2022
- Cassidy Gifford Becomes Godmother of Carnival Celebration in Miami - November 21, 2022