A new global fresh fish program from Holland America will bring more than 80 types of fresh fish on board, sourced and served locally in regions around the world.
Holland America Line is expanding its dining experience by launching a new worldwide fresh fish program. The new initiative will enlist a global network of 60 ports to source and serve 80 species of fresh fish on board in all restaurants from port to plate in less than 48 hours.
The first cruise line to serve 100% fresh, certified sustainable Alaska seafood on board its ships in Alaska, Holland America is now taking its fresh fish program worldwide. The cruise line will offer guests fresh fish and ingredients native to various regions, resulting in destination-inspired menus that tell the story of each journey.
“We know fresh fish is part of our guests’ daily lifestyle, and when they come on board, we are excited to expand their options beyond what they have access to at home,” said Gus Antorcha, HAL’s president.
“The ability to source and prepare so many types of fish globally is a testament to our outstanding culinary team. From yellowtail snapper in the Caribbean to barramundi in Australia, the variety of fresh fish we offer is unrivaled in the cruise industry,” Antorcha continued in a press release.
The program also includes daily fresh fish specials and a plan to expand the cruise line’s Savor My Catch excursion, with guest-caught fish prepared and served by chefs on board.
Chef Masaharu Morimoto will serve as HAL’s Fresh Fish Ambassador
Chef Masaharu Morimoto, best known as the star of Iron Chef and Iron Chef America, and currently executive producer and chief judge for Roku’s Sushi Master, has won critical and popular acclaim for his seamless mixing of Western and Japanese ingredients.
As HAL’s new Fresh Fish Ambassador, Morimoto will incorporate his trademark style in curated meals served in the ships’ dining rooms this autumn, and at a new pop-up restaurant that will be available fleetwide by early 2024. Morimoto’s dishes, as well as all seafood dishes offered in Holland America Line restaurants, will be sourced and cooked as part of the global fresh fish program.
“Embarking on this type of culinary journey at sea is a first for me, and I am excited to bring my passion for fresh fish and fresh ingredients onto Holland America Line’s fleet,” said Chef Morimoto. “I chose to partner with Holland America Line because we share a commitment and passion for fresh and regionally inspired foods, and you will see that come to life in the special dishes and pop-up experience we’ve created together.”
Chef Morimoto’s dishes will be offered for an additional charge on the cruise line’s main dining room menus beginning this week, and will be accessible fleetwide by early October. Fresh Black Cod Yuzu, Morimoto Epice Lobster Tails, and Fresh Halibut XO are among the new menu items.
“We are thrilled to collaborate with Chef Morimoto, the foremost expert in this niche,” said Michael Stendebach, VP of food and beverage at Holland America. “We share a commitment to serving the freshest ingredients, fish and seafood, in particular. We are excited to have his refined skills and celebrate his culinary style on board. Chef Morimoto brings his mastery and excellence to Holland America Line and is a great partner to bring this port-to-plate program to life.”
Chef Morimoto’s main dining room dishes
Examples shown will start in late September 2023 with a rollout to the entire fleet in October:
- Fresh Black Cod Yuzu with yogurt miso pickle vegetables, kimchi eggplant, fried rice, and garlic soy
- Morimoto Epice Lobster Tails with lemon foam, seasonal vegetables, and Morimoto Epice
- Fresh Halibut XO with Asian vegetables, dried shrimp, and scallop XO sauce
Morimoto by Sea pop-up restaurant will be featured on every Holland America ship
Starting in November, Holland America passengers will be able to enjoy a full Chef Morimoto experience at an exclusive pop-up restaurant called Morimoto by Sea. The restaurant and its menu of elegantly presented dishes and drinks will take over Tamarind or Pinnacle Grill at least once per voyage, depending on the ship. The multi-course feast, which will cost $55 per person, will also include vegetarian and vegan options.
Morimoto by Sea will celebrate the fresh fish program with inspired cuisine for a broad range of palates. The dinner also showcases Chef Morimoto’s exclusive alcoholic beverages—including Morimoto Brut Rosé and Sake Junmai Morimoto—that complement his fresh dishes. The pop-up restaurant will be open fleetwide by early 2024.
A sample menu might include:
- Sushi Plate: (Vegetarian can be requested.) Nigiri with salmon, hamachi, hotate, maki with ebi tempura, Dungeness California, salmon shikai maki
- Morimoto Fresh Tuna Pizza: Anchovy aioli, kalamata olive, red onion, jalapeno
- Tempura Calamari Salad: Quinoa two ways, white miso dressing (can be served without calamari on request)
- Pork Gyoza Dumpling: Ginger-scallion sauce
- Tori Paitan Ramen Noodles Soup: Soy egg, bamboo shoot, hot creamy broth poured at the table
- Crispy Fried Whole Market Fresh Fish: Sweet spicy chili sauce, pickle vegetables
- Ishiyaki Buri Bop: Fresh Pacific yellowtail on rice, cooked tableside in a hot stone bowl
- Shrimp Three Way “Morimoto Style”: Tempura, panko, arare-age, tartar, tonkatsu, and gochujang sauce
- Angry Lobster Pad Thai: Maine lobster, rice noodles, Thai red curry sauce
- Broiled Beef Tenderloin steak: Japanese-style mushroom sauce
- Jidori Chicken Teriyaki, Chicken Oyster Yakitori: Shichimi togarashi
- Japanese Vegetables Curry: Tofu steak, seasonal vegetables
- House fried rice, steamed rice, or brown rice
- Wasabi mashed potato
- Wok-seared bok choy
- Basket steamed vegetables
- Dark Chocolate Sphere: Ganache, marshmallow, milk hot chocolate sauce
- Tofu Cheesecake: Mango passion, pineapple salsa
- White Chocolate Lime Ganache: Coconut foam, mango sorbet, rice pudding
- Sorbet and ice cream or trio: Chef’s seasonal selection
Served by the bottle or glass:
- Morimoto Brut Rosé
- Morimoto Grgich Hills Chardonnay
- Morimoto Grgich Hills Cabernet Sauvignon
- Sake Junmai Morimoto
- Sake Junmai Ginjo Morimoto
- Sake Junmai Daiginjo Morimoto
- Sake Sparkling Nigori
More news about Holland America
- Holland America Line Installs SpaceX’s Starlink Internet Aboard More Than Half Its Fleet
- Holland America Completes Shore Power Connectivity Installation Fleetwide
- Holland America Line Launches Global Fresh Fish Program
- Holland America Line’s 2025 Europe Season Focuses on Longer Cruises and More Overnight Stays
- Holland America Introduces National Geographic Day Tours on Mediterranean Cruises
- Holland America Expands Alaska Up Close Program
Are you a seafood fanatic? What do you think about Holland America’s Global Fresh Fish Program? Are you excited to try some of Chef Morimoto’s new dishes? Let me know in the comments!
- Oceania Cruises Announces First Annual Culinary Masters’ Cruise - November 27, 2023
- Princess Cruises Begins Countdown to Inaugural Season from Port Canaveral - November 27, 2023
- Royal Caribbean Transatlantic Cruise Compass – Rhapsody of the Seas - November 26, 2023