NCL has awarded 20 outstanding teachers from across the United States with a free seven-day cruise in the fourth annual Giving Joy contest.
Norwegian Cruise Line has announced the 20 winners of its fourth annual Norwegian’s Giving Joy contest. The brand’s annual recognition program has been celebrating outstanding teachers across North America since 2019 for their hard work and relentless dedication.
Each of the 20 winning educators will receive a free seven-day voyage for two on an itinerary sailing through 2024 and embarking from the US or Canada. Additionally, the top three grand prize winners have been invited to attend the exclusive four-day christening voyage for Norwegian Viva, the second ship in the new Prima Class, debuting in August.
During Viva’s christening event in Miami on November 28, the winners will have the opportunity to enjoy exclusive performances by five-time Latin-Grammy-winning artist and Godfather of Norwegian Viva, Luis Fonsi—along with other leading Latin entertainers, including Paulina Rubio, “Saturday Night Live” cast member and Miami native Marcello Hernandez, and singer Pedro Capó.
“On behalf of all of us at Norwegian Cruise Line, we congratulate this year’s winners and nominees who have gone above and beyond to demonstrate an unwavering commitment to their calling as educators, and in doing so have left a lasting positive impact on their students, schools and broader communities,” said NCL president David J. Herrera in a press release.
“We look forward to welcoming this year’s winners aboard for a well-deserved cruise vacation,” Hererra continued.
Giving Joy has awarded over 250 free cruises to teachers since 2019
Norwegian Cruise Line’s Giving Joy program highlights the connection between travel and education, celebrating the commitment that teachers demonstrate in enlightening young minds. Since 2019, the contest has awarded over 250 educators with a free cruise vacation and donated over $350,000 to local schools and teachers with the support of its brand partners.
Inspired by Norwegian’s Giving Joy program and moved by the stories of the incredible teachers, NCL’s beverage partner Coca-Cola has donated roundtrip airfare from within the continental United States for each Giving Joy winner and a guest.
All 20 winning educators will also be awarded a complimentary virtual training session by the Guy Harvey Foundation to explore K-12 education resources using Dr. Harvey’s captivating marine art as an anchor. The nonprofit foundation’s work incorporates a unique blend of science and art—allowing teachers to dive into the wonders of the ocean and help foster the next era of marine conservationists.
Norwegian’s Giving Joy winners for 2023
NCL’s 2023 Giving Joy contest saw entries for over 3,400 teachers across the United States and Canada, and garnered hundreds of thousands of votes. Winners hail from California, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Puerto Rico, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington.
The 2023 Giving Joy grand prize winners are:
Ryan Price from Buckingham Collegiate Charter Academy in Vacaville, CA (first place)
Carolyn Reardon from James Otis Elementary School in Chicago, IL (second place)
Angelo Mirante from Lakewood High School in Arlington, WA (third place)
Giving Joy also awarded these 17 teachers a free cruise:
- Ashanta Ruffin from Lakeland High School in Suffolk, VA
- Brian Campbell from St. Vincent – St. Mary High School in Akron, OH
- Brian Flannery from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School in Bridgewater, MA
- Brianna Perez from Pine Crest Elementary School in Sanford, FL
- Carol Breton Felix from Escuela Elemental El Conquistador in Trujillo Alto, PR
- Craig Bren from Beverly High School in Beverly, MA
- Gabriela Colon from Deerwood Elementary School in Kissimmee, FL
- Hazar Biddle from Prince George’s County Public School Online Campus in Temple Hills, MD
- Jacqueline Torrero from Waters Edge Elementary at The School District of Palm Beach County in Boca Raton, FL
- Janet Smith from Karns Middle School in Knoxville, TN
- Lauren Ruder from Indian Trace Elementary in Weston, FL
- Michael Smith from East Meadow School District in Westbury, NY
- Mikala Fils-Aime from George Washington Carver Elementary in Coral Gables, FL
- Paul (P.J.) Battaglia from Westglades Middle School in Parkland, FL
- Ryan Bravata from Dutchtown High, Ascension Parish Schools in Geismar, LA
- Samantha Alfred from Narcoossee Middle School in St. Cloud, FL
- Winsome Flynn from J.P. Taravella High in Coral Springs, FL
To learn more about the 20 winners and their stories, click here.
What the Grand Prize winners can expect aboard Norwegian Viva
The three Grand Prize winners of Norwegian’s Giving Joy program will have the opportunity to sail on Norwegian Viva, the second of six vessels in the cruise line’s new Prima Class and sister ship to the award-winning Norwegian Prima.
Prima Class ships prioritize the guest experience and raise the bar on cruising with world-class cuisine, the brand’s most spacious design yet, and unique onboard activities including the three-level racetrack Viva Speedway.
Norwegian Viva will feature many of the onboard experiences that put the Prima Class in a league of its own—including Indulge Food Hall, an upscale food market exhibiting 11 unique eateries. The fastest slides at sea, The Drop and Rush will be on board, along with NCL’s industry-exclusive sustainable cocktail venue, the Metropolitan Bar.
Viva will sail a selection of Greek Isles and Mediterranean voyages through November before homeporting in San Juan, Puerto Rico in December 2023 for a season of Caribbean itineraries.
More news about Norwegian Cruise Line
- Norwegian Cruise Line Expands Solo Stateroom Options Across Its Fleet
- Wheel of Fortune Interactive Game Show Sets Sail on Norwegian Cruise Line
- Norwegian Viva Debuts in Europe, Welcomes First Passengers
- Norwegian Cruise Line Announces 2023 ‘Giving Joy’ Campaign Winners
- Norwegian Cruise Line Announces Upcoming Enhancements To Norwegian Joy
- Norwegian Cruise Line Announces Starbucks “Been There” Mugs
Did you nominate a favorite teacher for Norwegian’s Giving Joy contest? If you missed the deadline, NCL usually launches the annual contest each May. Bookmark my cruise contest page for all the latest ways to win a free cruise!
- Oceania Cruises Announces First Annual Culinary Masters’ Cruise - November 27, 2023
- Princess Cruises Begins Countdown to Inaugural Season from Port Canaveral - November 27, 2023
- Royal Caribbean Transatlantic Cruise Compass – Rhapsody of the Seas - November 26, 2023